Photo by Bill Shearn
PennTrackXC (MileSplit PA) is looking for a part-time editor based in Central Pennsylvania to help with cross country and track and field coverage. The editor is an organized ideas generator, an all-around track expert who produces content that is best in class and relevant to athletes, coaches and fans, and is dedicated to making PennTrackXC and MileSplit the go-to source for all important information in high school track & field and cross country.
The job will require about 20+ hours a week and you must be able to work mostly on the weekends for meet coverage.
The ideal candidate is Central PA-based, passionate, and curious subject matter expert who is excited at the prospect of crafting all types of content in a state and sport rich with stories, celebrities, events, history, and most importantly... potential. This is a job for someone who wants to grow the sport of track.
- Develop and execute great web content, both written and video, from the idea phase to publishing. You will spotlight the top athletes and coaches in your sport with interesting stories.
- Create compelling premium content that engages your audience and grows the subscribers in your region.
- Work with the PennTrackXC senior editor and team team to cross promote the most powerful content throughout the network.
- Build relationships within your state's community of coaches, officials, timers, associations, parents, teams, clubs and athletes.
- Represent PennTrackXC MileSplit in your state with the highest integrity when dealing with local event directors, coaches, athletes, parents and the T&F/XC community at large.
- Provide the most accurate and in-depth offerings in your state in regards to results, team and event rankings, meet calendars, team associations and athlete profiles.
- Travel throughout the state to create kick-ass on-site coverage of top events. Interview the athletes, film races, write compelling recaps and feature the biggest stories of each event.
- Be relied on to handle multiple content projects at once because you're a multitasking machine.
- Be a news hound, staying on top of every story and news item unfolding in your state to ensure you provide comprehensive coverage to your readers.
- Insure content is in line with our unique voice and brand guidelines.
- Be a social media influencer, actively participating in your community while marketing the content you create to those who seek it.
- Enter and process results from events in your state timely and accurately.
- Meet with management team regularly to dig into the details around performance and set goals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- You have experience with videography and/or photography and you are willing to help grow the video coverage on the site.
- You are an expert on the sport in your state and obsessive about staying on top of the latest developments and news.
- You are a fantastic writer and editor. Grammar mistakes drive you crazy.
- You love the feeling of breaking news before anyone else, but you also understand that being right is more important than being first.
- You are organized. You know how to prioritize your time. You manage multiple projects with ease.
- You are creative and analytical. You enjoy coming up with unique takes on stories and refuse to do something that has been done before. You thrive on taking an idea and making it a reality.
- You understand the importance of communicating properly to a young audience and can tailor your content appropriately.
- You're a social media savant. You know how to write creative and engaging tweets that burn like fire in your community.
- You are creative, competitive and driven to be the best.
- Highly organized, self-motivated and adaptable to change.
- Knowledge of HTML, photo editing tools (e.g. Photoshop, Pixelmator) and MS Office.
- Knowledge of AP Style preferred.
- Knowledge of video editing tools (Final Cut, Premier, Avid) preferred.
Email editor Dan Beck at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "PennTrackXC Job Posting." Include a resume and a paragraph or two about yourself and your experience, as well as any questions your may have about the job.