Boys 800
05/27/2018 7:57:13 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It was only a matter of time. For years, good athletes are missing the finals due to being buried at the start and trapped on the rail in pre-lims. The 800 is getting much too fast to continue to pack the track with 12-17 athletes like its a distance race. I saw 17 and 16 in each pre-lim. Are you kidding me?? (yet the girls 4x4 NEEDS a 3 turn stagger. Yeah, right.) Three heats of 10-11 I guess would take too much time. (Quiz: Which takes longer: a third heat, or recalling a race for a fall, letting everyone walk back and regroup?). Yesterday, a recall for falling at the start in AA (would alleys be too much to ask?)and a collision at the 400 with three going down in AAA. I've been bitching about this to deaf ears for about 10 years now and.....nothing. Smarten up PIAA.
It was only a matter of time. For years, good athletes are missing the finals due to being buried at the start and trapped on the rail in pre-lims. The 800 is getting much too fast to continue to pack the track with 12-17 athletes like its a distance race. I saw 17 and 16 in each pre-lim. Are you kidding me?? (yet the girls 4x4 NEEDS a 3 turn stagger. Yeah, right.) Three heats of 10-11 I guess would take too much time. (Quiz: Which takes longer: a third heat, or recalling a race for a fall, letting everyone walk back and regroup?). Yesterday, a recall for falling at the start in AA (would alleys be too much to ask?)and a collision at the 400 with three going down in AAA. I've been bitching about this to deaf ears for about 10 years now and.....nothing. Smarten up PIAA.
05/27/2018 1:19:55 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Don, I couldn't agree with more. We have been using the one turn stagger and putting the runners in lanes, one or two in a lane. At the Tri-State and Baldwin Invitaionals this was implemented and there was no problem. Instead of 16 pair of elbows being thrown the worst that can happen is two boys are going at it in their lane and not interfering with the rest of the field. I also agree that they need to cut the size of each heat down. The speed of the race and how quickly your energy gets depleted in an 800, there isn't much room for error. I am also sick and tired of seeing runners getting elbowed, tripped, pushed and stepped on. Hopefully the PIAA will take a look at this and make the proper changes.
Don, I couldn't agree with more. We have been using the one turn stagger and putting the runners in lanes, one or two in a lane. At the Tri-State and Baldwin Invitaionals this was implemented and there was no problem. Instead of 16 pair of elbows being thrown the worst that can happen is two boys are going at it in their lane and not interfering with the rest of the field. I also agree that they need to cut the size of each heat down. The speed of the race and how quickly your energy gets depleted in an 800, there isn't much room for error. I am also sick and tired of seeing runners getting elbowed, tripped, pushed and stepped on. Hopefully the PIAA will take a look at this and make the proper changes.
05/27/2018 2:30:06 PM
User
@lzelko Lee and Don,years ago at the TSTCA Meet Highland's Andy Thomaswick was knocked down in a distance race and broke his collar bone and his season was ruined. Ever since then the meets you mention have used allys
@lzelko
Lee and Don,years ago at the TSTCA Meet Highland's Andy Thomaswick was knocked down in a distance race and broke his collar bone and his season was ruined. Ever since then the meets you mention have used allys
05/29/2018 9:56:07 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Don, I totally agree. Every distance coach I spoke to at states was appalled by the fact that they are putting 16 kids on a waterfall. SOL Continental started the 800 in lanes on a 1 turn stagger, had a coaches box for every field event, had live results that were actually live, broke ties in the field events (PIAA didn't bother breaking ties past 8th in the verticals), had FAT splits, I could go on for a while. The state championship is so far behind other meets in the state. The state championship should be setting the standard, not falling below it. What ever happened to the post-meet coaches meeting where we could give feedback? I feel like all progression has haulted since they took that away.
Don,
I totally agree. Every distance coach I spoke to at states was appalled by the fact that they are putting 16 kids on a waterfall. SOL Continental started the 800 in lanes on a 1 turn stagger, had a coaches box for every field event, had live results that were actually live, broke ties in the field events (PIAA didn't bother breaking ties past 8th in the verticals), had FAT splits, I could go on for a while. The state championship is so far behind other meets in the state. The state championship should be setting the standard, not falling below it. What ever happened to the post-meet coaches meeting where we could give feedback? I feel like all progression has haulted since they took that away.
05/30/2018 6:35:44 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
When they used to have a Thursday eve coaches meeting in the auditorium at States, I raised my hand and brought up the issue a few years in a row. I was told basically to sit down and shut up. Back in '89 I had a kid win the 800 (Wayne Smith) and I distinctly remember him running in lanes around the first turn in the final. I asked them why did they get away from that format. They said they wanted to give more kids an opportunity to run the final. I replied "Okay, so why not run 12 in the 400 and give more kids the opportunity?" (just to make a point) Well, that would be dumb, they said, (and I agree of course) because the kids are too fast. Okay, since the first lap of the boys 800 is faster than the girls 400, why not run 12 in the GIRLS 400 final? They run at about the same speed! (Again, just to make a point) Their answer, no matter what the question, could be summed up as "We do it this way because we do it this way."
When they used to have a Thursday eve coaches meeting in the auditorium at States, I raised my hand and brought up the issue a few years in a row. I was told basically to sit down and shut up. Back in '89 I had a kid win the 800 (Wayne Smith) and I distinctly remember him running in lanes around the first turn in the final. I asked them why did they get away from that format. They said they wanted to give more kids an opportunity to run the final. I replied "Okay, so why not run 12 in the 400 and give more kids the opportunity?" (just to make a point) Well, that would be dumb, they said, (and I agree of course) because the kids are too fast. Okay, since the first lap of the boys 800 is faster than the girls 400, why not run 12 in the GIRLS 400 final? They run at about the same speed! (Again, just to make a point)
Their answer, no matter what the question, could be summed up as "We do it this way because we do it this way."

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.