Jashuan Agusto: 11 year old boy who runs a 4:40 mile on ABC News tonight

• Coach
    t_phi_ens
    and by the time he's about 15 or so when the great times become normal for his age he'll hate the sport cause all of the fan fair will have ended because he's no longer 11 running a 4:40 but 17 running a 4:24. but then again if he's a basketball 'phenom' we probably won't see him on the track too much anyway!!!

good job to him nevertheless but more importantly than a world record for his age group is i hope he has fun with it and learn to love the sport inspite of the many lofty expectations "adults" are going to put on this "kid"
  • User
    JimDillner
    According to the report, his cardio vascular ability is off the charts. They're comparable to a pro athelete, whatever that means, since it probably doesn't take a great cardiovascular system to do a lot of pro sports.

My guess is that he will be far below 4:24 at 15 years old. He seems to be pretty level headed for a little kid. Kind of reminds me of the storys about Tiger Woods when he was the same age. His basketball practice reminds me of Pistol Pete Maravich.

Based on that tv report, I'd not be surprised at him being the top boy in the nation for his school career and beyond.
  • User
    JimDillner
    I wasted a lot of time reading 19 pages nonsense from those people over there. I really don't understand the mentality of people who say those kind of things.
  • Steve Vincent
    User
    wcexcsv
    JimDillner
    I wasted a lot of time reading 19 pages nonsense from those people over there. I really don't understand the mentality of people who say those kind of things.

say what you want about it but the fact of the matter is that in his last race he ran a 5:56. thats no where near a 4:40.
  • User
    JimDillner
    What I find hard to believe is that ABC news would report that he ran 4:47 for the camera if it didn't happen. That would make for pretty amaturish reporting for a national news program. I don't think that even a local tv station would report that without doing their own timing.

Of couse the bottom line is that he run good times in meets.
  • User
    sidthemuffinrunr
    that race was only 1500 meters which is actually over 100 meters less than a mile, Jim. so, yes, it does settle the argument.

"My name not Bic but I keep that flame"-Wheezy
  • User
    RUNNER1000
    certainly no super freak prodigy and just a victim of an over-reaching and ignorant dad.

but still what a great time and great accomplishment by jashaun.
  • Coach
    jmcclernand
    5:06 is very good for an 11 year old boy but hardly freakish. I coached a 13 year old boy who ran 4:48 this year, and he got 2nd place. They are out there. btw, our kid only ran about 15 miles per week.
  • Patrick Meyers
    User
    Patm
    kinda beating a dead horse here...but that kid's head is far from level. ever been on youtube and seen what his dad has posted on there? he has a whole shrine to the kid. maybe he's more humble about himself than his dad is, but that's really not saying much in this case...