More from the Tribune-Review (Pittsburgh) on Latrobe's Hanna Green and her recent 2nd at NCAA 800m
03/26/2016 2:37:37 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
http://triblive.com/sports/otherlocal/10197773-74/green-ncaa-running
http://triblive.com/sports/otherlocal/10197773-74/green-ncaa-running
03/26/2016 2:41:27 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Many saw her last spring at the NCAA outdoors in the 800m making the outdoor final, finishing 3rd in a PR 2:01.17 as a VT soph. This year indoors there she is going stride for stride with Oregon's national champ Raeven Rogers two weekends ago at NCAA D1 nationals. She was 5th in the indoor 800m final last year at ncaas. I recall in high school at Latrobe she was a good XC runner (finished 18th, 14th, and 15th her last three years at wpial districts, and 41st as a soph at states and 40th as a senior at states). She started making waves in the 800m and 400m as a sophomore winning the 800m (in her HS PR of 2:16.39)and 2nd in the 400m at districts and getting 9th in the state final 800m as a soph. Junior and senior years she concentrated on the 400m at D7s and states getting 5th and 4th respectively her last 2 years at states. She got 2nd indoors at indoor states her senior year in the 400m with her HS PR of 56.12. Latrobe and Gateway crossed paths many times over her career so it's great to see her huge improvement in the 800m at the elite level--she definitely had the speed and the stride mechanics, and the determination to stick with XC all those falls! Stay healthy Hanna and have a great outdoor season!
Many saw her last spring at the NCAA outdoors in the 800m making the outdoor final, finishing 3rd in a PR 2:01.17 as a VT soph. This year indoors there she is going stride for stride with Oregon's national champ Raeven Rogers two weekends ago at NCAA D1 nationals. She was 5th in the indoor 800m final last year at ncaas.

I recall in high school at Latrobe she was a good XC runner (finished 18th, 14th, and 15th her last three years at wpial districts, and 41st as a soph at states and 40th as a senior at states). She started making waves in the 800m and 400m as a sophomore winning the 800m (in her HS PR of 2:16.39)and 2nd in the 400m at districts and getting 9th in the state final 800m as a soph. Junior and senior years she concentrated on the 400m at D7s and states getting 5th and 4th respectively her last 2 years at states. She got 2nd indoors at indoor states her senior year in the 400m with her HS PR of 56.12.

Latrobe and Gateway crossed paths many times over her career so it's great to see her huge improvement in the 800m at the elite level--she definitely had the speed and the stride mechanics, and the determination to stick with XC all those falls!

Stay healthy Hanna and have a great outdoor season!
03/26/2016 3:20:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Meanwhile, on the other side of the coin: "So why are men's track programs increasingly finding themselves on the endangered species list? There is no simple answer. However, any discussion of eliminating men's sports almost inevitably begins with the federal legislation known as Title IX. Signed into law by President Nixon, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 prohibits sex discrimination in educational programs receiving federal assistance. According to the General Accounting Office, since Title IX's passage, colleges and universities have eliminated more than 350 men's teams, 45 of them track teams." From "West Virginia cuts Men's Track" - Running Times, Adam Buckley Cohen
Meanwhile, on the other side of the coin:

"So why are men's track programs increasingly finding themselves on the endangered species list? There is no simple answer.
However, any discussion of eliminating men's sports almost inevitably begins with the federal legislation known as Title IX.
Signed into law by President Nixon, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 prohibits sex discrimination in educational programs
receiving federal assistance. According to the General Accounting Office, since Title IX's passage, colleges and universities have
eliminated more than 350 men's teams, 45 of them track teams."

From "West Virginia cuts Men's Track" - Running Times, Adam Buckley Cohen
03/28/2016 10:38:40 AM
User
@Donbet The big problem is that Football with its large number of scholarships throws the ratio/percentage/proportion way off of the Title IX formula. This needs to be changed some how.
@Donbet

The big problem is that Football with its large number of scholarships throws the ratio/percentage/proportion way off of the Title IX formula. This needs to be changed some how.
03/28/2016 1:26:19 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@mschwartzusatf I read football doesn't factor in. (look for the article I sited above. It touches on this). Due to the high participation rate (I think it's gone up to a 98-man roster?), it can never be duplicated on the female side. One thing I DID read in the article above, football teams that loose money (and there are LOTS of them),take it out on the "lesser sports" to make up the shortfall since they would never cut a football program at a major university. Then there's the fact that not as many women/girls are interested in sports (studies show 40% of girls and 60% of boys would even be interested in going out for a team if offered). So, the unintended consequences of forcing men's and women's numbers to jive, a lower interest for women's sports means cutting back on the men's side to achieve "equality". I think it's great for the girls, but......
@mschwartzusatf I read football doesn't factor in. (look for the article I sited above. It touches on this). Due to the high participation rate (I think it's gone up to a 98-man roster?), it can never be duplicated on the female side. One thing I DID read in the article above, football teams that loose money (and there are LOTS of them),take it out on the "lesser sports" to make up the shortfall since they would never cut a football program at a major university.
Then there's the fact that not as many women/girls are interested in sports (studies show 40% of girls and 60% of boys would even be interested in going out for a team if offered). So, the unintended consequences of forcing men's and women's numbers to jive, a lower interest for women's sports means cutting back on the men's side to achieve "equality". I think it's great for the girls, but......
03/29/2016 1:09:13 PM
User
@Donbet See the part in the article about the Gorilla on the Table: "West Virginia cuts Men's Track" - Running Times, Adam Buckley Cohen Despite tremendous efforts by WVU Alumni and boosters to reinstitute a Men's Program it failed. A similar effort brought back the WVU rifle team which of course supplies many of our US Olympians. These sports have been replaced in some cases by Women's sports such as crew even in places that do not have water. Also Men's programs have been replaced or eliminated in favor of sports seen as sports of the privileged $$$: WVU Golf St. John's Lacross and Robert Morris
@Donbet
See the part in the article about the Gorilla on the Table: "West Virginia cuts Men's Track" - Running Times, Adam Buckley Cohen

Despite tremendous efforts by WVU Alumni and boosters to reinstitute a Men's Program it failed. A similar effort brought back the WVU rifle team which of course supplies many of our US Olympians.

These sports have been replaced in some cases by Women's sports such as crew even in places that do not have water. Also Men's programs have been replaced or eliminated in favor of sports seen as sports of the privileged $$$:
WVU Golf St. John's Lacross and Robert Morris
03/29/2016 5:15:51 PM
Coach
@Donbet WVU was required to add another men's varsity sport as per the Conference requirements to join the Big 12. Instead of choosing men's T&F , WVU decided to form a men's golf team.
@Donbet
WVU was required to add another men's varsity sport as per the Conference requirements to join the Big 12. Instead of choosing men's T&F , WVU decided to form a men's golf team.
03/31/2016 5:41:51 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The only answer, as I see it: [b]Don Bet University [/b]offers a wide variety of varsity sports: [b]Mens[/b] - Cross Country, Track & Field, Field & Track, Track, Running, Jumping and Throwing. [b]Womens[/b] - Cross Country, Track & Field, Field & Track, Track, Running, Jumping, Throwing
The only answer, as I see it:

Don Bet University offers a wide variety of varsity sports:
Mens - Cross Country, Track & Field, Field & Track, Track, Running, Jumping and Throwing.
Womens - Cross Country, Track & Field, Field & Track, Track, Running, Jumping, Throwing
03/31/2016 6:50:17 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Just imagine what would happen if the NCAA counted Spring Football as a Sport.
Just imagine what would happen if the NCAA counted Spring Football as a Sport.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.