What ever happen to Dion Bentley???
04/16/2009 1:20:31 PM
User
I was looking at the national high school records last night, and noticed Dion Bentley(Penn Hills) still holds the national long jump record(26'9'') after 20 years. I think the record was held by Carl Lewis before Dion broke it. I dont follow the jumps closely, but has anyone even come close to this record?? This may be one of those Flo-Jo type records(10.3 100m) that will never be broken. Did he get hurt in college, did he drop out, what happen to him??
I was looking at the national high school records last night, and noticed Dion Bentley(Penn Hills) still holds the national long jump record(26'9'') after 20 years. I think the record was held by Carl Lewis before Dion broke it. I dont follow the jumps closely, but has anyone even come close to this record??
This may be one of those Flo-Jo type records(10.3 100m) that will never be broken. Did he get hurt in college, did he drop out, what happen to him??
04/16/2009 2:21:03 PM
Coach
[quote=5que]I was looking at the national high school records last night, and noticed Dion Bentley(Penn Hills) still holds the national long jump record(26'9'') after 20 years. I think the record was held by Carl Lewis before Dion broke it. I dont follow the jumps closely, but has anyone even come close to this record?? This may be one of those Flo-Jo type records(10.3 100m) that will never be broken. Did he get hurt in college, did he drop out, what happen to him??[/quote] The last few times I saw Dion was in the Summer of 1989 ( TAC Nationals) at the University of Texas Arlington and then at an invitational meet in the spring of 1991 at the College of William and Mary. I know he went to school in Florida but he fell off the radar pretty quick.
5que wrote:
I was looking at the national high school records last night, and noticed Dion Bentley(Penn Hills) still holds the national long jump record(26'9'') after 20 years. I think the record was held by Carl Lewis before Dion broke it. I dont follow the jumps closely, but has anyone even come close to this record??
This may be one of those Flo-Jo type records(10.3 100m) that will never be broken. Did he get hurt in college, did he drop out, what happen to him??
The last few times I saw Dion was in the Summer of 1989 ( TAC Nationals) at the University of Texas Arlington and then at an invitational meet in the spring of 1991 at the College of William and Mary. I know he went to school in Florida but he fell off the radar pretty quick.
04/16/2009 8:52:57 PM
Coach
can't say as i have any clue as to what happened to him or what's been going on -- but he was a year ahead of me in high school -- i had the pleasure of watching him compete -- at an invite at mt. lebanon (pretty sure it was the tri state meet then...) i watched him jump out of the pit and land on the track itself while the 1600 was coming around the turn -- they had to create a new "board" for him to be able to jump into their pit -- pretty darn cool...
can't say as i have any clue as to what happened to him or what's been going on -- but he was a year ahead of me in high school -- i had the pleasure of watching him compete -- at an invite at mt. lebanon (pretty sure it was the tri state meet then...) i watched him jump out of the pit and land on the track itself while the 1600 was coming around the turn -- they had to create a new "board" for him to be able to jump into their pit -- pretty darn cool...
04/17/2009 12:05:34 AM
Coach
Holy Moly....that was showtime whenever he jumped. I remember the state meet in '89 when he won with...26'5" or whatever and the whole stadium....everyone...would stop...get really quiet and watch him go at it. The crazy thing was he has lots of competition and could have lost that day. Dickerson from State College went I believe 25'10. There was an article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette about 5 years ago in that "Where are they now?" section. He didn't exactly fall off of the face of the Earth though. He was a multiple All-American at Florida and holds their school record to this day in 27'6". He just didn't improve a whole lot. He did give track up and became an English teacher for awhile and the last it stated he was a fireman I believe in Georgia. You could possibly google the article.
Holy Moly....that was showtime whenever he jumped. I remember the state meet in '89 when he won with...26'5" or whatever and the whole stadium....everyone...would stop...get really quiet and watch him go at it. The crazy thing was he has lots of competition and could have lost that day. Dickerson from State College went I believe 25'10. There was an article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette about 5 years ago in that "Where are they now?" section. He didn't exactly fall off of the face of the Earth though. He was a multiple All-American at Florida and holds their school record to this day in 27'6". He just didn't improve a whole lot. He did give track up and became an English teacher for awhile and the last it stated he was a fireman I believe in Georgia. You could possibly google the article.
04/21/2009 7:58:14 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
According to the latest IAAF stats, Dion is the 41st all-time long jumper. I believe the date of his longest jump which listed him at this all-time level correlates to his senior year at Florida (1993).
According to the latest IAAF stats, Dion is the 41st all-time long jumper. I believe the date of his longest jump which listed him at this all-time level correlates to his senior year at Florida (1993).
03/11/2012 5:56:38 PM
User
Apparently, he is now a firefighter for Fire Station No. 2 in DeKalb County, Georgia. http://www.reporternewspapers.net/2011/12/02/firefighter-feast/ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/other/20030522where0522p3.asp
Apparently, he is now a firefighter for Fire Station No. 2 in DeKalb County, Georgia.

http://www.reporternewspapers.net/2011/12/02/firefighter-feast/
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/other/20030522where0522p3.asp
03/21/2012 10:56:42 PM
User
@JohnDoe57 Thanks for posting those links. I enjoyed reading about one of the all-time greats.
@JohnDoe57 Thanks for posting those links. I enjoyed reading about one of the all-time greats.
03/22/2012 7:35:29 AM
Coach
Bentley also won the AAA Boys 300IH at the 1989 PIAA Championships
Bentley also won the AAA Boys 300IH at the 1989 PIAA Championships
03/22/2012 8:25:41 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I once rode an elevator with Dion at the Golden Nugget.....
I once rode an elevator with Dion at the Golden Nugget.....
03/24/2012 12:47:07 PM
Coach
@Donbet He was probably missing hurdle practice when you ran into him because, if you remember, he couldn't hurdle to save his life! He won the IH (37.26) with raw athleticism!!
@Donbet
He was probably missing hurdle practice when you ran into him because, if you remember, he couldn't hurdle to save his life! He won the IH (37.26) with raw athleticism!!
03/24/2012 1:21:26 PM
Coach
@5que Bentley's outdoor HSR was broken in 2009 by Marquise Goodwin who jumped 26' 10" as a prep. Although Goodwin placed 2nd at the recent NCAA Indoor Champs and 3rd at the 2011 NCAA Outdoor Champs, his PR is still the '09 HS mark. Bentley still holds the indoor HS LJ record. Lewis is only 8th on the indoor list.
@5que
Bentley's outdoor HSR was broken in 2009 by Marquise Goodwin who jumped 26' 10" as a prep. Although Goodwin placed 2nd at the recent NCAA Indoor Champs and 3rd at the 2011 NCAA Outdoor Champs, his PR is still the '09 HS mark.

Bentley still holds the indoor HS LJ record. Lewis is only 8th on the indoor list.
03/24/2012 1:42:58 PM
Coach
@dustdevil Dickerson's outdoor PR was recorded in his junior year when he jumped 25' 4.25". In 1989, he never jumped over 24' outdoors however, he did jump 25' 3.25" indoors that season.
@dustdevil
Dickerson's outdoor PR was recorded in his junior year when he jumped 25' 4.25".

In 1989, he never jumped over 24' outdoors however, he did jump 25' 3.25" indoors that season.
03/25/2012 3:52:28 PM
User
@rnicklas His Indoor Record was set in the Penn State/State College HS Indoor invite at the Rec Hall facility. I was standing next to the board when he took off way over my head!
@rnicklas

His Indoor Record was set in the Penn State/State College HS Indoor invite at the Rec Hall facility. I was standing next to the board when he took off way over my head!
06/09/2014 3:02:31 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@rnicklas Bentley DID NOT win the 300IH at the '89 PIAA State championships. He LOST to Jason Kremus of Northampton who set the state record with a 36.94. Dion was an good IM hurdler, but not in the class of Kremus.
@rnicklas
Bentley DID NOT win the 300IH at the '89 PIAA State championships. He LOST to Jason Kremus of Northampton who set the state record with a 36.94. Dion was an good IM hurdler, but not in the class of Kremus.
06/09/2014 3:56:27 PM
Coach
@Finman Thanks for the correction. Was it '88 when Dion won the long hurdles? 1988 was the year he jumped 25-5.25, the current Meet Record. Just checked Rod Frisco's list of PIAA Champions. Bentley never won the 300IH; Stanley Reed of Penn Hills won them in '92. MY BAD.
@Finman
Thanks for the correction. Was it '88 when Dion won the long hurdles? 1988 was the year he jumped 25-5.25, the current Meet Record.

Just checked Rod Frisco's list of PIAA Champions. Bentley never won the 300IH; Stanley Reed of Penn Hills won them in '92. MY BAD.
06/09/2014 6:26:56 PM
User
@JohnDoe57 Correct he does live and work as a firemn in the Atlanta,GA area. His nephew is Brandon Mitchell the Fox Chapel HS hurdler.
@JohnDoe57
Correct he does live and work as a firemn in the Atlanta,GA area. His nephew is Brandon Mitchell the Fox Chapel HS hurdler.
06/09/2014 8:03:21 PM
Coach
Even going back to '87, both Bentley and Dickerson had their own entourage, even as sophomores. Rob Graf from Ridley won the AAA long jump that year, beating both Bentley and Dickerson( I think it was Bentleys only loss ever in PA). Also that year in AA was Rocket Ismail from Wilkes Barre who had like the whole town following his every move. This was when the long jump was contested down the other end at Shippensburg( near the 100start) and everyone was crammed in that end of the bleachers watching these kids jump.
Even going back to '87, both Bentley and Dickerson had their own entourage, even as sophomores. Rob Graf from Ridley won the AAA long jump that year, beating both Bentley and Dickerson( I think it was Bentleys only loss ever in PA). Also that year in AA was Rocket Ismail from Wilkes Barre who had like the whole town following his every move. This was when the long jump was contested down the other end at Shippensburg( near the 100start) and everyone was crammed in that end of the bleachers watching these kids jump.
06/10/2014 11:54:00 AM
User
@get24esq That was something watching Bentley vs. Dickerson on that end of the field. They even changed the normal direction so that their jumps would not be wind aided
@get24esq
That was something watching Bentley vs. Dickerson on that end of the field. They even changed the normal direction so that their jumps would not be wind aided
03/09/2018 2:53:13 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Just randomly came across this feed - Dion is a Firefighter in Dekalb County (Atlanta, Ga) and he coaches the Girls Sprinters and Boys/Girls Jumpers at Brookwood High School in Snellville, Ga. He’s as awesome as ever.
Just randomly came across this feed - Dion is a Firefighter in Dekalb County (Atlanta, Ga) and he coaches the Girls Sprinters and Boys/Girls Jumpers at Brookwood High School in Snellville, Ga. He's as awesome as ever.
03/10/2018 2:56:36 PM
User
@dustdevil I think he should have gone to Houston instead of Fla. , He would have been coached by their great staff led by Tom Tellez and been around Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell and others. Fla. had him only long jump. He would have benefitted like many great jumpers if he had continued to run the Hurdles and relays.
@dustdevil

I think he should have gone to Houston instead of Fla. , He would have been coached by their great staff led by Tom Tellez and been around Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell and others. Fla. had him only long jump. He would have benefitted like many great jumpers if he had continued to run the Hurdles and relays.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.