Word is that West Catholic, O'Hara and Gratz are probables. That means a lot of events already have some of the top talent in the state entered.
Now in its 20th year, the Pennsylvania Track Classic offers the first opportunity of the outdoor season for high school athletes from across the state to test their fitness against top caliber competition outside the confines of indoor track.
The Classic will include 32 competitors in the 100, 200, 400, 100/110 hurdles, the 4 x 100, 4 x 400 and 4 x 800 relays, 24 competitors in the 800, 1600, and 15 competitors in the 3200, Distance Medley and all field events. An alternates' list will also be included insuring maximum participation. Most alternates have actually competed on the day of the meet.
The list of Pennsylvania Track Classic meet records reads like a who's who of many PA high school legends, including both current state record-holders and former Foot Locker Finalists:
- Paul Vandegrift (Archbishop Kennedy-1987), who won BOTH the 800 and 1600 at the meet in that year 1:52.4 and 4:09.7; (Indoor 800 state record 1:52.32; outdoor state record 800 1:48.8, outdoor state record 4:03.2 1600, all 1987)
- Mason Ternay (Reading-1989), who won the Pole Vault with a 15-06 effort (indoor state record 16-00 1989)
- Tyrone Smith (Plymouth-Whitemarsh), 6-08 High Jump in 1985 (outdoor state record 7-02.50 in 1985)
- William Reed (Central), won the 200 in 21.6 in 1985); (indoor state record, and US record 46.84 400 in 1986; outdoor state record 10.0 100 meters in 1986)
- Joyce Bates (Simon Gratz), 14.43 100 hurdles in 1996 (outdoor state record 41.88 300 Hurdles in 1996; former 60 Meter Indoor state record of 7.50 in 1995)
Also holding meet records are Foot Locker Finalists:
- Julia Pudlin (Baldwin School), 10:38.37 3200 Meters in 2001 (FL 2000)
- Janelle Thomas (Liberty), 4:51.35 1600 Meters in 1996 (FL 1992, 1993, 1995)
- Paul Vandergrift (Archbishop Kennedy), 800/1600 records in 1987-see above (FL 1986)>br>
The Pennsylvania Track Classic will be held for the first time at Plymouth-Whitemarsh High School in Montgomery County near Philadelphia. The school boasts a lightning-fast eight-lane all-weather track, as well as exceptional field facilities. Medals will be awarded to the top five in each event, as well as for the top track and field performers, both male and female. The meet is open only to schools whose coaches are members of the PTFCA. Coaches may join with their entry. Entry forms are available on-line at www.PTFCA.org, or www.PennTrackXC.com. Entries must be received by March 17. Send all entries to: Ron Lopresti, 2001 Sterigere Street, Norristown, PA 19403. Phone: (610) 631-5675, FAX (610) 631-0382.
Meet T-shirts will be available on sale at the meet, or by advance order at www.PennTrackXC.com between February 15 - March 8, 2004.
(Click here for a Pennsylvania Track Classic Entry Form)
(Click here for a Pennsylvania Track Classic Meet Records)
About the Pennsylvania Track Classic
Now in its 20th year, the Pennsylvania Track Classic has kicked off the spring season and has become the finest meet in PA before the Districts with outstanding performances each year. This year's meet will be held on Plymouth-Whitemarsh's lightning fast eight lane oval with superb field event facilities. In the past, it has been held at Villanova University and Coatesville High School.
About PTFCA (Pennsylvania Track & Field Coaches Association)
The PTFCA was formed in 1975 to promote the sports of track and field and cross country in the state of Pennsylvania. In addition to establishing a Pennsylvania T&F Hall of Fame in 1995, The PTFCA sponsors a team of the top ten senior boy and girl cross country runners to compete in the Mid East Cross Country Championships in Dayton, Ohio. The PTFCA also sponsors two indoor meets – the Indoor Carnival and the Indoor State Championships; along with two outdoor meets – the Pennsylvania Track Classic in late March and the Colonial Classic in early May. All-state teams are also selected by the PTFCA for each season, including cross country, indoor, and outdoor track & field.
About PennTrackXC.com - presenting sponsor of the 2004 PA Track Classic
Founded in March, 2000, PennTrackXC.com is a web site dedicated to providing coverage of Pennsylvania high school Track & Field and Cross Country, reaching 25,000+ distinct readers a month. Since its inception, the site has provided results and summaries of virtually every major PA invitational (800+) plus PA athlete performances at major out-of-state meets. The site also provides in-person coverage with photos and interviews, plus in-depth coverage of PA District and State championships, along with the Penn Relays Carnival; plus feature stories, elite performance lists, college choices and online forums.