Photo by Patty Morgan
What a day at the PTFCA Indoor State Championships!
State meet records went down in many events and we even saw a state record. Let's recap quickly some of the best moments from the day (full recaps coming soon!):
- Cheltenham's Chanel Brissett continues to prove her hurdles prowess. The senior went 8.14 in the finals of the 60 meter hurdles, which is a new PA indoor state record and the fourth best all-time high school performance (and #3 performer of all time). She also took second in the 60 meters in 7.45.
- Cheltenham won the girls' team title over North Penn. The Panthers won the 4x200 meter relay and broke their own state meet record with a time of 1:39.19
- Girard College sophomore Thelma Davies won two sprint events, despite battling an illness all week. Davies won the 60 dash (7.38) and 200 meters (24.02).
- Penn Wood's Terri Turner pulled off a great come-from-behind win in the 800 meters, running a US#2 time of 2:08.58. She then anchored the Penn Wood 4x4 to the win in a state meet record of 3:49.25.
Photo by Ethan Rissell
- Germantown Academy's Abbe Goldstein won both the mile and 3000 meters, her first and second indoor state titles.
- Upper Dublin's Madison Langley-Walker finished off her day with one gold and three bronzes. She won the triple jump and took third in both the 60 hurdles and long jump (all three were PRs).
- South Williamsport's Katie Jones cleared 13-0 to win the pole vault for a second straight season.
- North Penn repeated as champs in the 4x800, running a time of 9:18.10 for the win.
- North Penn's Uche Nwogwugwu won the 400 meters for a second straight season in a time of 55.13.
Photo by Abby Huber
- Jordan Geist's incredible senior season continued Saturday. Geist had another terrific series in the shot put circle, throwing a best of 75-3.75, the fourth best all-time throw and a new PA indoor state meet record.
- Carlisle had a great day, led by Noah Affolder. Affolder helped the 4x800 and DMR win, and the senior also won the mile and took second in the 800 meters.
- Bishop Shanahan won the boys' team title behind wins in the 4x200 and 4x400. Nate Alleyne was on both relays and won the 400 meters to start off his day. Alleyne outleaned St. Joe's Prep's Miles Green for the win. Josh Hoey was also on the 4x400 and he won the 800 meters earlier in the day, catching Affolder.
Photo by Patty Morgan
- Germantown Academy's Kyle Garland had a great day, winning two state titles and taking second in another event. Garland won the 60 meter hurdles and high jump and took a close second in the long jump, completing a full day.
- Coatesville's Terrance Laird didn't get the state record he was hoping for, but the senior did still get a state title. Laird won the 200 meters in 21.42.
- Meadville's Journey Brown won the 60 meter dash in 6.80, a PA#1 and US#3 in a close race.
- JP McCaskey's Nathan Henderson ran 8:34.64 to win the 3000 meters, his first career state championship win.
- Souderton's Shamar Jenkins won the triple jump with a big leap and huge PR of 48-4.25.
- Nick Marino of Hatboro-Horsham cleared a big PR of 16 feet even to win the pole vault.
- The biggest upset of the day came in the boys' long jump. Upper Saint Clair's Harvey Kane jumped a massive PR of 23-0.5 to take the win.