Running D3 on Saturday is a shame....should be postponed.
10/25/2018 7:19:37 PM
User
100% chance of rain, temps in the 40's and wind. There wouldn't be a baseball championship or a tennis championship, but cross country goes on anyway.
100% chance of rain, temps in the 40's and wind. There wouldn't be a baseball championship or a tennis championship, but cross country goes on anyway.
10/26/2018 6:57:53 AM
Coach
@JimDillner Because we are tough not like those other sports
@JimDillner

Because we are tough not like those other sports
10/26/2018 7:39:44 PM
User
All the officials who do these things should be out running the course that day to see what it's like. The sport is about running. It's run on grass and there are hills and turns and all that. It's run in the heat and run in the cold, but adding wind and rain isn't what it's about. To me it's a bit of bullying by adults to kids I remember a couple years ago when it was freezing cold and the officials were in coats and hats, but they would not let the kids wear gloves. What a bunch of crap.
All the officials who do these things should be out running the course that day to see what it's like.

The sport is about running. It's run on grass and there are hills and turns and all that. It's run in the heat and run in the cold, but adding wind and rain isn't what it's about.

To me it's a bit of bullying by adults to kids

I remember a couple years ago when it was freezing cold and the officials were in coats and hats, but they would not let the kids wear gloves. What a bunch of crap.
10/27/2018 9:49:07 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@JimDillner I completely agree with the whole hat and gloves thing. I cannot understand the reasoning behind all jerseys and undergarments have to match. I can kind of understand when I comes to relays in track, or when an official had to separate kids at the finish line before chip timing, but it just seems like an outdated rule just so officials can say they did something. In 2011, I coached for a school that literally had no budget. If I wanted to get matching under armor for my athletes I had to pay it with my own money. During the district championship, it was snowing. I assumed that they would wave the under garment rule and allow the kids to have gloves and possibly a shirt underneath. Because the shirts didn't match, the officials forced my athletes to strip down to their singlets. Yes, you can argue that I new the rule, but what choice did I have? These were inner city kids that I was lucky that I was able to get them to run. They didn't get any advantage by wearing the shirts which were plain. As far as the conditions of the courses, yes you don't want to have to reschedule anything, but you don't want to risk the safety of the athletes. What if an athlete twist an ankle or something worse?
@JimDillner

I completely agree with the whole hat and gloves thing. I cannot understand the reasoning behind all jerseys and undergarments have to match. I can kind of understand when I comes to relays in track, or when an official had to separate kids at the finish line before chip timing, but it just seems like an outdated rule just so officials can say they did something.

In 2011, I coached for a school that literally had no budget. If I wanted to get matching under armor for my athletes I had to pay it with my own money. During the district championship, it was snowing. I assumed that they would wave the under garment rule and allow the kids to have gloves and possibly a shirt underneath. Because the shirts didn't match, the officials forced my athletes to strip down to their singlets. Yes, you can argue that I new the rule, but what choice did I have? These were inner city kids that I was lucky that I was able to get them to run. They didn't get any advantage by wearing the shirts which were plain.

As far as the conditions of the courses, yes you don't want to have to reschedule anything, but you don't want to risk the safety of the athletes. What if an athlete twist an ankle or something worse?
10/27/2018 9:42:44 PM
User
@boroxc I read a while back that XC is the high school sport with the most injuries. I have a daughter who had a severe hip injury due to it, and had to have major surgery due to a fall. So it DOES happen. Nobody wants to see that.
@boroxc

I read a while back that XC is the high school sport with the most injuries. I have a daughter who had a severe hip injury due to it, and had to have major surgery due to a fall. So it DOES happen. Nobody wants to see that.
10/27/2018 10:02:13 PM
User
Had another thought today about this. It's not just the athletes. What about parents, siblings, and grandparents who want to come out and see their athlete run districts? You have one of the best places in PA to watch a meet, but you expect them to stand outside in a monsoon to do it. What a way to kill interest in a sport that already is tough to be a fan of...one where scoring gets figured out and posted and you're not sure which team wins until later.
Had another thought today about this. It's not just the athletes. What about parents, siblings, and grandparents who want to come out and see their athlete run districts? You have one of the best places in PA to watch a meet, but you expect them to stand outside in a monsoon to do it. What a way to kill interest in a sport that already is tough to be a fan of...one where scoring gets figured out and posted and you're not sure which team wins until later.
10/27/2018 10:02:58 PM
User
And I have another one: What about kids with glasses? Ever try to see through glasses that are getting hit with rain?
And I have another one: What about kids with glasses? Ever try to see through glasses that are getting hit with rain?
10/30/2018 1:46:02 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@jimdillner are you going to the state meet, Jim?
@jimdillner are you going to the state meet, Jim?
10/30/2018 11:17:15 PM
User
@sverige55 No Fred, I don't think I am. I'm not following as closely as in the past and the course is not spectator friendly. You have to bring your own drone to watch a race there!
@sverige55

No Fred, I don't think I am. I'm not following as closely as in the past and the course is not spectator friendly. You have to bring your own drone to watch a race there!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.