PIAA District 1 AAA Championships 2014
05/17/2014 8:10:37 PM
Coach
My daughter's 4x400 team just ran 4:00.72 in the D1 AAA trials. The SQS is 4:02.5. They were 9th so they did not advance to the finals and will not go to states. The D9 4x400 AAA champs ran 4:10.20. This may sound like sour grapes but it angers me like you can't believe to see a 4:10 team go to states and a 4:00 team get sent home. By the way the D1 DQS is 4:06. So the D9 champ is not even good enough to get into the D1 meet. If the leadership of the PIAA cared anything about fairness they would do something to address this. It is just wrong to eliminate so many good athletes from D1 and let mediocre(or worse) athletes from other districts to go to states. D1 coaches know that D1 athletes better the SQS regularly but fail to crack the D1 top eight. My question is: what has to happen to make significant changes in the state qualifying system? Who or what committee has the authority to make changes? There is way too much talent concentrated in D1. Quality athletes are being sent home while mediocre athletes form small districts get a ticket to states. Coaches need to start demanding a more fair system. They need to take those demands to the people who have the authority to make change.
My daughter's 4x400 team just ran 4:00.72 in the D1 AAA trials. The SQS is 4:02.5. They were 9th so they did not advance to the finals and will not go to states. The D9 4x400 AAA champs ran 4:10.20. This may sound like sour grapes but it angers me like you can't believe to see a 4:10 team go to states and a 4:00 team get sent home. By the way the D1 DQS is 4:06. So the D9 champ is not even good enough to get into the D1 meet. If the leadership of the PIAA cared anything about fairness they would do something to address this. It is just wrong to eliminate so many good athletes from D1 and let mediocre(or worse) athletes from other districts to go to states. D1 coaches know that D1 athletes better the SQS regularly but fail to crack the D1 top eight. My question is: what has to happen to make significant changes in the state qualifying system? Who or what committee has the authority to make changes? There is way too much talent concentrated in D1. Quality athletes are being sent home while mediocre athletes form small districts get a ticket to states. Coaches need to start demanding a more fair system. They need to take those demands to the people who have the authority to make change.
05/17/2014 10:55:46 PM
User
R U SERIOUS !
R U SERIOUS !
05/17/2014 11:31:19 PM
Coach
Yes. I am serious. I am tired of seeing high quality athletes knocked out of the state meet in D1 while lower quality athletes around the state get a ticket to states. It bothered me when I coached and infuriates me now as a parent. What's wrong with you better the SQS and you go to states?
Yes. I am serious. I am tired of seeing high quality athletes knocked out of the state meet in D1 while lower quality athletes around the state get a ticket to states. It bothered me when I coached and infuriates me now as a parent. What's wrong with you better the SQS and you go to states?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.