District classification system
10/26/2017 2:50:55 PM
Coach
I understand how teams are classified (enrollment numbers) but who decides when a district joins with another district to form a regional. Example: In District VI, AA up until last year, District V AA have 2 teams (Somerset & Bedford). They were part of our District meet. It has changed, now District V AA runs same day as their A teams. If they take 1 team and 5 individuals, essentially both teams go to States! I have heard people complain in the past about similar issues. Does the PIAA plan to take any consideration sometime soon in looking at the way the districts are set up. We seem to be spinning our wheels.................
I understand how teams are classified (enrollment numbers) but who decides when a district joins with another district to form a regional. Example: In District VI, AA up until last year, District V AA have 2 teams (Somerset & Bedford). They were part of our District meet. It has changed, now District V AA runs same day as their A teams. If they take 1 team and 5 individuals, essentially both teams go to States! I have heard people complain in the past about similar issues. Does the PIAA plan to take any consideration sometime soon in looking at the way the districts are set up. We seem to be spinning our wheels.................
10/29/2017 12:26:02 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachkim I feel your pain. When the PIAA first considered added another classification, I asked on this forum, what happens if a district would then have 3-4 teams as a result? The PIAA only seemed to care to make sure to make the larger districts happy by allowing more teams and individuals to go to states. I don't think there is an official method for combining districts. In District 10 AAA, they combined with Districts 6, and 9 to have 8 teams. Yet, on the boys side, there are still only 4 teams for the AAA District Championship. There are only 3 complete teams that competed for District 8. They should combine Districts 6,8,9 and 10. It doesn't make sense to have less than 10 teams for a district championship, while other districts have 50+ teams.
@coachkim

I feel your pain. When the PIAA first considered added another classification, I asked on this forum, what happens if a district would then have 3-4 teams as a result? The PIAA only seemed to care to make sure to make the larger districts happy by allowing more teams and individuals to go to states.

I don't think there is an official method for combining districts. In District 10 AAA, they combined with Districts 6, and 9 to have 8 teams. Yet, on the boys side, there are still only 4 teams for the AAA District Championship. There are only 3 complete teams that competed for District 8.

They should combine Districts 6,8,9 and 10. It doesn't make sense to have less than 10 teams for a district championship, while other districts have 50+ teams.
10/29/2017 1:45:08 PM
User
@boroxc The Huge Geographic Area District #1 had only 46 Finishers and 7 teams in Girls A at Lehigh with many Schools. Small fields has been the case for a number of years now,but this is never mentioned. District 8 which is only the Pgh. Public Schools / City League is always criticized even though they all run as AAA schools and individuals regardless of their enrollment. A number of which could be in a smaller classification.
@boroxc

The Huge Geographic Area District #1 had only 46 Finishers and 7 teams in Girls A at Lehigh with many Schools. Small fields has been the case for a number of years now,but this is never mentioned. District 8 which is only the Pgh. Public Schools / City League is always criticized even though they all run as AAA schools and individuals regardless of their enrollment. A number of which could be in a smaller classification.
10/29/2017 6:31:24 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@mschwartzusatf The number of teams and individual qualifiers should be looked at every 1-2 years. D7 AAA girls had more teams and individuals competing than a district that is sending 1 more team and 5 more individuals.
@mschwartzusatf

The number of teams and individual qualifiers should be looked at every 1-2 years. D7 AAA girls had more teams and individuals competing than a district that is sending 1 more team and 5 more individuals.
10/29/2017 11:45:59 PM
Coach
If you look at the results for District 5 AA Boys there are two teams: Somerset & Bedford. There were 14 TOTAL runners, so if one team and 5 go essentially both teams make it. Only 2 boys in the ENTIRE field do not make states. By the way, the District 5 AA Girls still run with District 6.
If you look at the results for District 5 AA Boys there are two teams: Somerset & Bedford. There were 14 TOTAL runners, so if one team and 5 go essentially both teams make it. Only 2 boys in the ENTIRE field do not make states. By the way, the District 5 AA Girls still run with District 6.
10/30/2017 5:19:06 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
There is no reason whatsoever not to change the District set-up for XC & Track. It can be accomplished.
There is no reason whatsoever not to change the District set-up for XC & Track. It can be accomplished.
11/11/2017 9:59:24 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
What the PIAA should do is combine districts 6 & 9 to have a 6-team championship meet. They should also combine districts 8 & 10 to have a 8-team championship meet. I thought at first they could combine all 4 districts, but Erie & Pittsburgh are 2+ hours away from the State College area. Now that there are 6 classifications for some sports, they really should do this for all sports. There is no reason teams should automatically qualify for the playoffs or the district championship. What is funny is that DuBois, McDowell and Erie traveled 2+ hours for the AAA Girls District 6 Championship, and yet less than 2 hours away was the District 8 Championship with only 3 complete teams. Those same 3 schools stayed near home on the boys side for the District 10 Championship. So, any parents that had kids on both boys and girls had to decide which kid to support.
What the PIAA should do is combine districts 6 & 9 to have a 6-team championship meet. They should also combine districts 8 & 10 to have a 8-team championship meet. I thought at first they could combine all 4 districts, but Erie & Pittsburgh are 2+ hours away from the State College area.

Now that there are 6 classifications for some sports, they really should do this for all sports. There is no reason teams should automatically qualify for the playoffs or the district championship.

What is funny is that DuBois, McDowell and Erie traveled 2+ hours for the AAA Girls District 6 Championship, and yet less than 2 hours away was the District 8 Championship with only 3 complete teams. Those same 3 schools stayed near home on the boys side for the District 10 Championship. So, any parents that had kids on both boys and girls had to decide which kid to support.
11/14/2017 10:58:36 PM
Coach
State College already competes in the mid-penn conference so they travel 1 1/2 - 2 hrs for their league meets. If District 6 & 9 combined: District 9 District 6 Boys A (13) A (17) + 3* 30 teams + 3* Boys AA (5) AA (10) + 1* 15 teams + 1 Boys AAA AAA (5) Girls A (8) A (12) + 7* 20 teams + 7* Girls AA (5)+ Somerset/Bedford(D5) AA (12) + 2* 17 teams + 2* Girls AAA AAA (7) + 1* * incomplete teams
State College already competes in the mid-penn conference so they travel 1 1/2 - 2 hrs for their league meets.
If District 6 & 9 combined:
District 9 District 6
Boys A (13) A (17) + 3* 30 teams + 3*
Boys AA (5) AA (10) + 1* 15 teams + 1
Boys AAA AAA (5)

Girls A (8) A (12) + 7* 20 teams + 7*
Girls AA (5)+ Somerset/Bedford(D5) AA (12) + 2* 17 teams + 2*
Girls AAA AAA (7) + 1*
* incomplete teams
11/15/2017 10:04:35 PM
User
@boroxc 6 classifications for XC and Track??? How in God's name would they run the championships? 12 XC races in one day?? 3 is too much. I guess that's what some people want in the "every kid gets a participation trophy" era.
@boroxc 6 classifications for XC and Track??? How in God's name would they run the championships? 12 XC races in one day?? 3 is too much. I guess that's what some people want in the "every kid gets a participation trophy" era.
11/15/2017 10:13:24 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@mrhuber1 Who said anything about 6 classifications for track or cross country?
@mrhuber1

Who said anything about 6 classifications for track or cross country?
11/16/2017 7:33:07 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachkim For AAA girls, DuBois (District 9) already competes as a district 6 team for cross country, but are combined with district 10 for boys. Why not just make it official and consistent that all the district 6 and district 9 teams combine for one district? The districts are too small to be by themselves. With district 8, it doesn't make sense that they are by themselves with how few teams there are. Why have district 10 combine with 9 or district 6 when those districts are farther away than district 8.
@coachkim

For AAA girls, DuBois (District 9) already competes as a district 6 team for cross country, but are combined with district 10 for boys. Why not just make it official and consistent that all the district 6 and district 9 teams combine for one district? The districts are too small to be by themselves.

With district 8, it doesn't make sense that they are by themselves with how few teams there are. Why have district 10 combine with 9 or district 6 when those districts are farther away than district 8.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.